One Earth is happy to share the results of the Advancing Sustainable Consumption and Production in North America Workshop. This workshop was a sharing and strategy session among stakeholders engaged in advancing sustainable consumption and production (SCP), including US and Canada government representatives, civil society, academia, private sector and international organizations. This meeting was organized by the North American Roundtable on Sustainable Production and Consumption (NARSPAC) in cooperation with the United Nations Environment Programme – Regional Office for North America (UNEP RONA). It included representatives of the Global Research Forum on Sustainable Production and Consumption (GRF-SPC) from the North American region (see participant list below). The results of the meeting was shared at UNEP RONA’s North American Major Groups and Stakeholders consultation (12-13 December 2012).
The One Earth Initiative is a non-profit research and advocacy group based in Vancouver, BC, Canada. We seek to transform unsustainable consumption and production patterns locally, nationally and internationally. We champion a democratic, socially just and ecologically sustainable world in which all citizens can meet their basic needs, enjoying a healthy and rewarding life.
The One Earth Initiative stimulates movement from commitment to action on sustainable consumption and production (SCP):
- We engage in policy advocacy to encourage government accountability to their UN Rio commitments on SCP.
- We undertake targeted research and action initiatives which link global and local issues, including a scan of the effectiveness of past and ongoing SCP campaigns.
- We promote positive visions of the future to make sustainable livelihoods attractive, and inspire the world to think and act as One Earth.
The One Earth Directors have long-standing and varied experience in sustainability issues, from local to global levels and across research, policy and practice. Find out more about our team: Emmanuel Prinet, William (Bill) Rees, Tobi Reyes, Dagmar Timmer and Vanessa Timmer and Nicole-Anne Boyer.
We are motivated by endless human imagination as we join in the growing sustainability revolution to redesign and transform our societies. One Earth brings tools, ideas and real applied solutions to the table. We work with partners around the world, from the local to international level.
Picture a city and a fun lifestyle that can be sustained for the long-term within the ecological capacity of our planet!
We live in a web of connections to the people and places around the world that sustain our lifestyles and societies. We envision a world of sustainable living where:
- Being “wealthy” means living a vibrant and fulfilling life,
- There is secure access to the resources for basic human needs,
- Healthy lifestyles are supported by responsible production of goods, and
- Local livelihoods are enhanced by global links.
This world of sustainable living is brought about by individual choices, solid public policy, sound industrial practices and appropriate technology. Take a closer look at One Earth’s vision, mission and objectives.